Special Announcement: Our Summer playlist is available on Spotify. Listen now.
Don’t be afraid to fail big. But who gets to fail without real consequences? And how do we recover from life’s most disappointing moments? Today we discuss some of our failures, our feelings about them, and how we’ve learned to cultivate resilience through building our internal “toolbox” of skills and practices.
What We’re Reading and Listening To
Ashley has been watching the Queer Eye reboot on Netflix. Jonathan Van Ness, one of the cast members, has a podcast called Getting Curious. His episode “How to Apply Ethics to Everyday Life,” a conversation with Christian ethicist Ryan Huber, whose scholarship focuses on German theologian and anti-Nazi activist Dietrich Bonhoeffer, offers an accessible way to learn more about a complex, nuanced issue.
Katey has been giggling at Riot’s Womanhood series on Youtube featuring comedians Aparna Nancherla and Jo Firestone. Katey discovered the duo on an episode of the Unladylike podcast called “How to Gal Pal.” While all of the episodes will have you in stitches, she recommends you start with this one: “Do you Need Helmets for Aqua Cycling?”
Kindreds of the Moment
We are celebrating all of the resisters who are speaking out against injustice. Here are some of our favorites:
- 600 women sit-in at the Senate Building protesting family separation, wrapped in foil blankets. Almost all of them were arrested.
- Clergy protest family separation and Jeff Sessions in Los Angeles
- Clergywomen demonstrate outside of Customs and Border Protection office in DC
- Patricia Okuomou, immigrant from Congo, climbed the Statue of Liberty on the 4th of July to protest ICE and family separation. She said, “’When they go low, we go high,’ and I went as high as I could.”
Stuff We Talked About
- Cindy Brandt’s podcast Parenting Forward
- Our podcast partner Pulpit Fiction
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- Arlan Hamilton on the StartUp podcast
- Free online course: Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills
We’ll be taking the month of August off from recording. We’ll be back with new episodes in September.
**Have you pledged to support Kindreds on our Patreon page? You can sign up in less than a minute–and for as little as $1 a month. Thanks for helping us cover the cost of making, producing, and sharing this show**